Monster
I love Riley so much, I'd run into a burning building for him, risk my life for his. He's such a sweet innocent darling angel.
But he's also a monster.
He continues to bite too much and too hard. A while ago he took a chunk out of our yonger cat Crystal, and he was in his crate when he did that (cat got too close). Whenever he sees another dog he lunges at its face and bites. I thought going to the dog park would cure him of this. I guess not. He's been terrorizing Nicky, and continues to chomp down on poor Nicky's face and ears and grab his fur and pull hard (that's how he hurt Crystal).
Yesterday he drew blood while playing with me, AND this is without his upper fangs - he lost both of his upper fangs, he has new ones coming in. How he drew blood and cut me with no fangs is beyond me.
Today he went after a dog who was lose in the neighborhood, went right for his face.
It's all in a playful manner, not a vicious one, but that's not an excuse. I know he's still a puppy, but I've met SO MANY pug puppies and pugs his age that don't act like this.
I don't know if it's his personality or my fault as an owner/trainer.
On top of all that I can't get him housetrained. He pees on the couch, the bed... poos on the carpet.
Yes he's a puppy and I don't expect more of him than he can do at his age. I just don't know how much of this is my fault because I am failing, and how much of this is "normal". I've never had a dog as an adult so this is all new to me (even still).
Because of all this he is penned more than I'd like. He's only crated at night-bedtime, but he's penned alot during the day. I feel bad that he can't have full roam (free run) of the house right now. But he just can't. And I feel like it's my fault. But I'm doing the best I can, I really am.
:(




2 Comments:
I can certainly relate. Buddy has torn poor Brutus's jowls to shreds and was biting *very* hard with us, all in play. This link: http://www.canis.no/rugaas/onearticle.php?artid=2 has been a big help for me, at least.
We've started puppy training classes, even though he's older, but some of the advice has been great. SOme tips they've given us:
Startle him with a word or noise (we use OI!!) when he's being naughty. In reverse, make sure you praise him when he's being good. Mark it with a "Yes!" then god boy or whatever. But make sure you tell him when he's good too.
Don't pull your hand away when he bites. He'll think it's a game. Yell OUCH but don't jerk away. He'll get it fairly quickly. You can work on this by holding a treat in your closed hand and let him try to get it. Use your startle word if he bites/paws/etc. If he sniffs and roots for it, open your hand and say Yes.
We've been working with Buddy on housetraining since we got him. Giving him treats when we see him go outside has helped a lot. He's working out he gets treats if he does his business outside. We were also taking him out every 2-3 hours whenever we're home. He's gotten better, and now can hold out for 4 hours or so. He will also hold out all night. :)
Hang in there. I certainly feel your pain with having a puppy. Email us if you need an ear.
Beth (Brutus's & Buddy's mom)
http://pugblog.blogrolled.com
Just had another thought. What about a DAP? It's like an air freshener, but it gives off the scent like a mother's pheremone when they are nursing their puppies. It made a HUGE difference calming Buddy down (it knocked Brutus out. :D ) It has really helped us out. They aren't cheap, but for the difference it's made, I'd pay twice the amount. We found it at Petco/PetSmart.
Beth (Brutus & Buddy's mum)
http://pugblog.blogrolled.com
Post a Comment
<< Home