EverybodyLovesRiley.com!

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Ears and wrinkles

The last week or two I've noticed that Riley's right ear is cocked back, but the other one isn't. At first I thought it was like an expression, like he did that when he was curious or something. But it's all the time. See Riley here:

(cam: Panasonic Lumix FZ-1)

But then several days ago I noticed that if you look at the back of his head, the ear that is cocked has developed a fold in the back of the ear, which is why the ear flops back more.

Now what I'm wondering is, will he aways have one cocked ear, will it fix itself, or will the other one develop the same fold, too, leading to two "cocked" ears. It's so funny now he's like, uneven. And it's all the time. I don't care, I just think it's interesting.

Still no forehead wrinkles, but sometimes depending on the light it seems that the hairs on his forhead reflect light in such a way that it looks like forehead wrinkles are starting. But the skin is still tight and flat.

But he is getting other wrinkes, or more specifically: rolls. He's had a roll under his chain for a while, now he's got rolls behind his neck, and when he stands on his hind legs you can see three rolls of skin of his back under where his tail curls.

My breeder told me that she often breeds w/ a certain other kennel, and as you can see, those pugs are quite wrinkly in the body:

(I don't have the pedigree in front of me right now, I am not at all claiming that Riley is related to the dog in that picture, not at all.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

if he is still a pup, you can "train" his ears by taping
them using surgical tape. it is painless for the pup and will result in the ideal ear form. if you do a search on google
you can find instructions on how to do this. the unfolded ear is the more desirable shape for a pug according to the AKC, so if you want riley's ears to have that unfolded shape, it would be best to train them with tape, or to pull them forward every time you see them flopping like that.

7:42 PM  
Blogger laserone_ said...

That's very interesting, I will definately look into that. I, took, prefer the the unfolded look. I'm not picky since I'm not showing, but if it's fixable, I definatly think it's worth trying. Thanks!

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am the one who responded earlier about taping the ears. i just realized that the pic at the top is an actual
photo or Riley! he is such a cutie! his left ear is the ideal ear form and the right one is the one that needs training. my pug, bugsy's left ear folds over too, so i am constantly repositioning it. i haven't had to tape them, but if they keep folding over, i might do it.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

*** See the "Archives" on the sidebar to read the MANY MORE archived posts. Click Here. ***