EverybodyLovesRiley.com!

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Greenies

It's intesting. Now here we are, long after I had several problems w/ Riley choking on Greenies, not digesting greenies, almost needing surgery because of greenies, throwing up for days because of greenies, it's all over the national and local news now that they're dangerous.

Here's one link:
http://www.nbc-2.com/articles...

I wonder why it took so long.

Just "in the last few months", 13 dogs have choked to death on Greenies.

They say you have to chose the right size, but any size is too dangerous for my dogs. They don't break down. When Riley threw up a chunk, while at the same time having another chunk lodged in his digestive system (seen on x-ray), the vet pressed his fingernail on the chunk that Riley threw up and said "this should have broken down!" but it was hard as a rock.

For a while AFTER the near-surgery episode, I thought the solution was only giving huge greenies, and HOLDING it in my hand as Riley chewed, to ensure that he did not swallow any large chunks. The ones for "small dogs" or "tiny" (?) he just breaks into chunks and swallows the chunks without chewing them, which is even worse. But now I won't risk it, not ANY size Greenie. Even when I am careful to make sure he doesn't swallow any "chunks", he still throws bits up during the night, vomits up green stomach phlegm, pants, and acts sick.

They make Nicky similarly sick as well. I have been saying NO to Greenies for a long time now because of how dangerous they are. I hope that people take these news reports seriously. This is one story that is NOT being over-sensationalized.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi just stumbled over here from pugs in hats on flickr...

I learned about Greenies when I went to my local dog shop to buy one and the guy who owns it said they had heard about dogs choking and it not breaking down.
They put a greenie in a jar and filled it with vinegar and water and changed it every day and after a week it was still rock hard and in perfect form. They then put it in just vinegar for 2 days and nothing.
There used to be this product for dogs that was basically sand paper covering a tape roll!

My next dog is going to be a pug!

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you so very much for the info on the Greenies! My vet has them for sale and I have thought about buying my Adge one but I will not after hearing all of this. Thank goodness Riley is okay!

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you give your pug instead of greenies to clean their teeth? We have had the same problem with our pug. As soon as we gave him a greenie, he threw up, with chunks of the undigested greenie. Is pressed rawhide better? Greenies worked so well to clean his teeth.

3:05 AM  
Blogger Gigamatt said...

nala just told me about your greenie post when we were at the pet store the other day (they had them on sale, big sign in the window)

perhaps i should print out the news article and send it to them.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

*** See the "Archives" on the sidebar to read the MANY MORE archived posts. Click Here. ***